Tuesday, May 27, 2008

20 Grains At A Time


One of the wonderful things I have learned about the network here in this blog world is that it can grow and grow. And in growing, we can, in our own little way make a difference in the world.

Today I was reading Midlife Misfit and she told of visiting Wisdom Hypnosis and finding and enjoying a word quiz.

Well I love word quizzes so I headed over to visit and this is what I found.

FreeRice is a sister site of the world poverty site, Poverty.com.
For each word you get right, they donate 20 grains of rice through the UN World Food Program to help end hunger.

FreeRice has two goals:

Provide English vocabulary to everyone for free.
Help end world hunger by providing rice to hungry people for free.


Check out the FAQ at http://www.freerice.com/faq.html


I added the Free Rice widget to my blog and I encourage everyone to add a widget to your blog.
http://www.freerice.com/banners.html

Thank you to both Midlife Misfit and Wisdom Hypnosis for bringing this worthwhile cause to my friends and I.

And now I have to go because I have quizzes to play and grains of rice to donate.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I arrived at your blog via Savvy Boomer and your comment - glad I found you.

Debbie said...

thanks for stopping by, the rice widget is so much fun, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hello B.N
Well I was in the area and thought I'd call in. Enjoyed your post thanks for the mention.I know there's a sight with other quizes on when I track them down I'll add them.

Mental P Mama said...

Love the Free rice site...and thanks for the nudge. I am going to put it on my favorites, too. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Yes, a friend sent me details of Freerice by email and I love playing it. However, I have no idea how to put a link on my blogpage. Wordpress doesn't seem as straightforward as other providers but I'm sure it must be possible. Well done you - and I love your Bear Footprint stat meter.

Kay Dennison said...

Wayyyyyyyyyy coooooooool!!!!!!!!! I love this stuff!!! AND I donated ovedr 5,000 grains of rice!!! The best news that my word play is actually doing good somewhere.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Bear Naked said...

I am loving the site also but oh my it is so addictive.
But then I can say ---look at all the rice I have donated so far.
36900 grains of rice since I found out about *Free Rice* site just yesterday.
Oh yeah I am an addict. LOL

Nancy Chisum said...

This is very cool! Glad you shared it. I have not had the chance to read as many blogs as I would like to lately so I appreciate the info.

Merle said...

Dear B.N ~~ That looks like a lot of fun and I will check it out later.
Thanks for your comments and I am so glad you enjoyed Meredith's letter and her dog and God's reply.
Take care, my friend. Love, Merle.

Ms. 50something said...

Hi Bear,
I'm hooked. I need to find out if my granddaughter or her yucky lice is winning, I need to set tivo for In Plain Sight, airing tonight, I have to leave time to dream about the pet I'd like to get, I ponder what I'd do if I had a box of See's candies in front of me. Now I am hooked onto a word site? Have you no mercy? Please include less addicting sites in the future.
Thanks.
Sue