Monday, May 19, 2008

The American Election


Being a Canadian, I know I have no right to talk about the United States election campaign
BUT
why does it take soooooooooooo long for the candidates to be chosen.
I really don't understand too much about the American way of choosing candidates. It does seem to me though that so much money is being spent on these election campaigns.
If what I read is correct (and somebody correct me if I am wrong) the cost of getting elected to the office of President of the United States could cost one billion dollars by the time the election is over later this year.
That's $1,000,000,000
Imagine targetting that same amount of money towards seniors or health care or schools or etc. etc. etc.
Mind boggling isn't it.

5 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Don't even get this old mama started...

David said...

Think of the good that could be done with that money!

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh the agony of it all....

Yep, it's pretty messed up all right....what a waste of $$$$ that could be used to such better advantage....Uh, it makes me ill.

Anonymous said...

Like you, I think the whole system is a complicated waste of time and money. I suppose, without evidence, I have no right to say this but I reckon there were some funny goings on last time, when George W got in so I'm not sure how far we'll be able to trust the results when they eventually get around to electing the President this time.

John said...

here's a quick lesson on how we americans choose our candidates:

1. a bunch of people convince themselves they want the job of president.

2. the rest of the country digs through their dirty laundry to see who has the fewest character flaws completely ignoring the candidates' qualifications.

3. last man (and i can still say man because i don't think hillary will make it) standing wins.

God Bless America!! Obama in '08!!