Wednesday, July 2, 2008

ABC Wednesday--X

Xavier the Teddy Bear is
waiting patiently to be
delivered along with the tasty treats,
to his girlfriend, Xylona,
so he can give her
XO XO XO'S.



Yes it is ABC Wednesday over at Mrs. Nesbitt's place
Just head over there to learn how to participate.
******
So just why do we use XO XO XO to denote hugs and kisses.
*
According to Wikepedia:
*
"The use of XOXO goes back to the use of an X or cross, which was considered as good as a sworn oath in times before most people could write and therefore used the X in the same way a signature is used today — a mark of one's word.
An X at the end of a letter or document was often kissed as a seal of honesty, in much the same way one would kiss a Bible or kiss the fingers after making the sign of the Christian cross.
Thus the X came to represent a kiss in modern times.

The origins of the O as a hug are not generally known, although it is speculated that it may represent the arms wrapped around someone being hugged."
*
Whatever the origin is I am giving everyone I have met *here* in the blogosphere:
XO XO XO

28 comments:

Granny Smith said...

XOXO to both Xavier and Xylona! Yours is a delightful blog, which I happy to have discovered. I'm a grandmother (and great-grandmother) who collects dragons, Not quite the same.

CaBaCuRl said...

Clever & informative....that's your X post!Xavier is such a cutie...wish he was calling in on me!

Juliana said...

ah...this is cute X

Mine in here at My Imaginary site. Thanks

Anonymous said...

yep...it is cute X. My son will grab that teddy bear if he see ;)

Visit me in here Thanks

Rena said...

How cute!
And I learned something!

esnorway said...

nice x good pics to

Maria Verivaki said...

nice name for a teddy

Paulie said...

Very clever! One I hadn't thought of. I am sure your guess about the "O" is correct.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I have never come across XO before nor knew that O meant a hug - lots of XXX for telling me something new and a big O

mrsnesbitt said...

Great stuff!
Yes we return the hugs!

Gordon said...

A lovely pic; and the info on XO is very interesting.

Mental P Mama said...

X-ceptional X post!

me ann my camera said...

A really interesting informative post about the origin of the X in xoxo... thanks Xavier!

Profile Not Available said...

Great reading!

AphotoAday said...

You know, I'm going to be the life of the next party I go to with all this newfound information -- it's not likely, but I wonder if I'll get X'ed, or O'ed...

bobbie said...

That's a pretty clever way to get an X in there. I love the xoxoxo.

Georgina said...

Big Bear Hugs and Kisses to you too.
I have an award at my place for you. Debs x

Daryl said...

Ahhh .. the sweetest X so far!

:-Daryl

Daryl said...

Come and get the Just Plain Fun to Read badge at my blog!

:-Daryl

Nancy Chisum said...

I always learn something new when I come here. :-) Now I can share it with the folks at work.

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" thanks you for stopping by San Francisco Bay Daily Photo!

"Louis" is buried deeper than his cowbell in a work project for the next several weeks. He will stop and visit, but may not stay long enough to 'sign the guest registry'.

Diana S said...

I never knew that about the X. thanks! XO

JeanMac said...

Thanks for the hug!Interesting post.

Wendy said...

I always wondered what the XXOO were at the end of cards. Now I know! Thanks for your fun poems on my blog.

ellen b. said...

Wonderful, wonderful. What a cute bear. Now can I have a chocolate, too, please?

Unknown said...

Nice photo and interesting X post!

Nydia said...

Xavier is a cutie! Many XXX to him! :0)
XXX from Nydia.

Barbara said...

I wasn't sure of the origins of X but I did think it was something to do with the signature. Xavier is a beautiful bear! Thanks for visiting my blog!