Thursday, May 22, 2008

Exercise for Post-Menopausal Women


Post-menopausal women can face a variety of health issues. Exercise is a key part of staying healthy.


Exercise helps prevent osteoporosis by keeping bone and cartilage tissue strong and healthy.


Exercise reduces the risk of heart attack and other cardiovascular diseases by increasing heart and respiratory rates.


Exercise keeps your joints moving and keeps the muscles around your joints strong. This helps in the prevention of arthritis.


Exercise will help to maintain regular bowel function, a common problem as people become older.


Exercise will improve a woman's overall health and fitness by controlling weight, making the heart stronger and retaining a sense of well-being and alertness.


Exercise Helps Prevent Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a decrease in bone mineral density. Weight-bearing exercises are essential in preventing osteoporosis. These exercises cause weight to be placed on the bones, especially the hips, legs and spine. The weight placed on the bone helps slow deterioration of the bone.


Good Exercises for Post-Menopausal Women
Experts agree that walking is the best form of exercise for post-menopausal women. It can be done anywhere, at anytime and promotes social interaction. Shopping malls are an extremely safe area to walk, plus you don't need to worry about the weather
Light weight training will help build muscle mass and keep muscles tone.
Low-impact aerobics is great for increasing heart and respiratory rates, which helps keep vital organs healthy.

General activity is also urged. Older women should go outside and wash the car or work in the garden.
Exercise should be done daily for at least 30 minutes. If not, then at least three times a week. **Any activity is better than no activity.**

5 comments:

David said...

I love the fact that you use our simple medium (Blogs). To encourage us all to make us better. It is a noble but rewarding goal. Thank you for this

Nervus Rex said...

GRRRRRReat post! Very informative and inspirational!

You *almost* make me want to go out and wash the car, or work in the garden. Dang -- it's pouring! Guess that means the shopping mall for me!! :) :)

Shawna

Kay Dennison said...

Yes exercise does help and I despite knowing up close and personal about all this, am as lazy as the next old gal. It's really rather embarassing!

Thanks for all your kind words at my place!!!!!!

Betty said...

I say all of this to myself every morning. Then, I go back to my recliner and my book. I'm so weak-willed.

Joy Des Jardins said...

As it turns out I'm bascially lazy...something I really never realized about myself until I got older....when I actually had time to be. However, my doctor has decided to 'scare' me into activity. I guess somebody had to do it. So I'm trying to get more exercise....it hurts like hell. I hope to live through it, lose the weight, and appreciate the true benefits that everybody keeps talking about. But I'm not bitter.