Friday, September 26, 2008

A House is Not a Home


WITHOUT A ROOF

As some of my readers of this blog know, we want to sell the house we are currently living in right now.

There are so many reasons why we want to move:

Our present LOCATION i.e. backing on to a busy and noisy highway
Thieving Eco-friendly and nosey inquisitive NEIGHBOURS
Moving CLOSER to our children and grandsons
The cracked and leaking BASEMENT that we have had repaired four times
And now the ROOF we have to have replaced ASAP!

This is BearNaked's own version of The Money Pit movie.
Insert sobbing, sound effects here.
Exit stage right:
The sight of the roofing contactor we just hired yesterday, gleefully skipping back to his truck.

We had this house built specifically for us, moved in on NEW YEARS EVE 1996 and had the unpleasant surprise, three days later, of ***4 inches of muddy water*** fill the basement.
That is yet another horror story that I still have not been able to write about; without breaking into uncontrollable laughter (which hides the sound of our screams and gnashing of the teeth.)

In the first 12 months after moving in we had to have all this done:

Repair the hole in the basement wall where the builder FORGOT to place a plug, when the foundation walls were poured.
Move the sump pump location to the lowest level of the basement floor from the highest level where it originally was located. ***Remember-- 4 inches of muddy water***
Replace throughout the house, all the wall to wall carpet that was installed incorrectly with half inch gaps at every seam.
Sand and repaint the baseboards because the incorrectly installed carpet was laid 2 hours after the house had been painted. We are talking serious FUZZY baseboards here people.
Repair the 4 outside corners of the house, cracking at the foundation.
(The New Home Warranty paid for all of this.)

Since then we have not had a 6 month run of something not breaking down, cracking and/or leaking.
And now we need a new ROOF!
Which is no longer covered by the Home Warranty.
Is it any wonder why we can't wait to sell this sow’s ear silk purse of a house.


Does anyone remember?
Sonnet 43 by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.



This is the big one!
You hear that, Elizabeth?
I'm coming to join ya, honey!
Redd Foxx

AND

Photobucket
Bear((( )))

22 comments:

Maggie May said...

Oh dear, you really have been through it.
I'd love to get rid of this house too but there's not much hope of that with the housing market as it is.
Yes, I remember that poem well.
I guess your is an old house like mine? Always having to lash out on repairs.
Just hang in there, I'm sure you will get your dream home eventually.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Oh, no. Don't let that house win. Because it is a battle, after all. I'm constantly under attack by my house and the surrounding Mother Nature and I can tell you that surrendering is not an option.

Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, which hopefully will be a wonderful new home with minimal infestations and other assorted nuisances.

Baino said...

Hey Mrs Bear . . take heart. I live on five acres that have been rezoned as 700 square metre building blocks. This place is my retirement plan, my superannuation fund, so we've done very little recently other than cosmetic repairs and maintenance because we know eventually (hopefully in the next 2 years) a 'nice' developer will come with a briefcase full of cash and we can RETIRE! Gah! Property has plummeted and for five years we've been sitting and waiting . .I feel your frustration.
In the meantime it's your home so make it liveable without going to too much expense . .it will happen . .just takes time!

Mental P Mama said...

Oh I am so sorry. Is the market as, pardon me, bearish in Canada as it is here? I really want to downsize in a few years, but am afraid of our collapsed housing market. In the meantime, that house is a complete victim. I don't think I've ever heard a tale as horrific as this. It will get better. It has to. {{{{ }}}}

desert dirt diva said...

since everyone has said everyting that need to be said i steall all there comments and post it to mine:)and the trash can thing that is a friggin riot!

Anonymous said...

Oh Bear, there's nothing worse than home problems. I'm sorry your dream home turned into a nightmare. I've got home problems too but I don't own them, thank God. I've got people listing their homes with me for twice what they are worth in a good market and then getting upset because no one wants to buy them. Ugh.....real estate!!!

Daryl said...

I am so sorry ... it never rains but pours and it seems you have had more than a bear sized share of ca-ca!



:-Daryl

kenju said...

I know how you feel. Our home will have to be painted soon and Lord knows what else might happen. I need to sell it and downsize, but in this economy, selling is an iffy situation, no matter where you live.

Gary ("Old Dude") said...

you know the expression---"life is a bowl of cherries"---nobody mentions they come with pits--(sigh)

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a lot to go thru with a house. We just got one this year, and I am constantly nervous! It was so much money! I try not to live life full of fear, but houses are definitely a cause of stress for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh Bear, sympathies. Where's Mike Holmes when you need him?

Anonymous said...

Hi
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Appropriate, cause I happen to be a big teddy bear fanatic. Great blog, lots of cute pics and graphics. Will definitely be stopping by again. Hope to see you soon too!
:) Robin
cinnamon and honey

Wendy said...

Hope things turn around for you soon. I can't imagine the nightmare you've gone through with this house.
Well, there is only one way to go and it's up!
Hugs.

Merle said...

Dear Bear ~~ I am so sorry that you have had all that trouble with your house and I hope you can get it ready to sell and find a buyer. Things must get better for you. Glad you like my header picture and also the big typre as it is easier to read. Easier for me to type too. my brother does the alterations to my blog as I never learned. Good luck with yours
Take great care, my friend, Love, Merle.
I just love your bears.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Home repairs are a killer Bear....I hope you are well over them soon. I know of what you speak....I've been there...and am still going through some. I too am having some roof repair work done on a section that has been a problem for years...Oh Poop! Good Luck sweetie....

sandyshares said...

mine is falling down around me but i canot afford another . You are brave to have toughed it out sandy

Darlene said...

I have been through similar horrors that you describe in three houses in my life and share your frustration. You get one thing fixed and something else falls apart. Arrrgh!

You have printed my favorite poem. I recite the first partof it to my granddaughters and then make up my own ways that I love them.

JeanMac said...

Just sick for you. I can see why you want to leave.(one of my fav poems)

Kay Dennison said...

You've just scared me. There's a possibility that I'll have the opportunity(?) to own a home. Thanks for the mental hotfoot.

I hope you work things out.

Kay Dennison said...

You've just scared me. There's a possibility that I'll have the opportunity(?) to own a home. Thanks for the mental hotfoot.

I hope you work things out.

Golden To Silver Val said...

Oh my gosh....this is terrible. Its too bad you can't sue the builder! I wish you luck but realistically speaking....you may have to wait a while before you can successfully sell if things are as bad there as they are here. Things are HORRIBLE here. Property values have plummeted.
I've never seen things so bad...it reminds me of Dad's stories of the Great Depression!

Dina said...

I feel for you, Bear. I know what it's like too. Glad you can still write about it with some humor.
Good luck for better days.