Wednesday, November 26, 2008

ABC Wednesday-S




William SHAKESPEARE (1564– 1616) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's preeminent dramatist.


SHAKESPEARE is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon."


SHAKESPEARE'S works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems.


SHAKESPEARE'S plays have been translated into every major living language, and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.


50 years ago was when I first studied SHAKESPEARE in school and I can still remember the first six lines of :

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice bless'd,
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown:
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway,
It is enthroned in the hearts of kings;
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's,
When mercy seasons justice.Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
That in the course of justice none of us
Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy.
*
Portia.
The Merchant of Venice.
Act IV, Scene 1.
*
*
ABC Wednesday is brought to you by Mrs. Nesbitt.
Mr. Linky can be found here.
*
*
Photobucket

37 comments:

antigoni said...

Excellent, beautiful, gorgeous.

Rinkly Rimes said...

Shakespeare could never have imagined a bear being dressed as him, nor could he have pictured his poetry being on a blog!!!

Poopsie aka Blue said...

A very scholarly post!

Rune Eide said...

Highly relevant S. We have much to thank him for.

Miss_Yves said...

A stunning choice!
I suppose that your lovely Teddy bear is "Shakespeare in love" (lol!)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Simply spectacular.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Rinkly Rimes is mistaken - if Shakespeare were alive today he'd be one of the biggest bloggers going.

Anonymous said...

Then exit/pursued by a Bear.

The depth of your imagination is bottomless.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Excellent. You do have a vivid imagination.

Rose said...

Bear, I am glad I didn't miss this post--Shakespeare is the perfect S! Having taught Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and many of his other works for more than 30 years, I think of the Bard in superlative terms.

"What a piece of work is Man!
How noble in reason..."

Joy Des Jardins said...

A wonderful post about 'ol Willliam. "To Bear or Not to Bear...That Is The Question."

Mental P Mama said...

Love him.

bobbie said...

Cutest darned image of Shakespeare I have ever seen! I love The Bard.

Anonymous said...

Awwww...cute post...

Daryl said...

Adorable! Just like you!

:-Daryl

Anonymous said...

I love ABC Wednesdays because I always learn something very interesting. What I'm most impressed with today is the fact that you remember 6 lines of something you memorized 50 years ago. LOL I can barely remember things I learned 5 minutes ago. Ugh....

Happy Thanksgiving, Mrs. Bear. (((HUGS)))

kenju said...

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Will Shakespeare

enjoyed this, Bear!

photowannabe said...

Very original post Bear. I loved Shakespeare and thanks to a great English teacher I learned to appreciate him.

Pat said...

I also learned to like Shakespeare in my teens. I had a very good teacher who made the Bard come alive. But I would have liked a bear like this to recite to!

Anonymous said...

You did well to memorise all that. The only thing I can still recite from my schooldays is 'The Owl and the Pussycat'. . . . .
P.S. Thanks for changing the comment box. I must have been the only idiot who couldn't fathom the other one!

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Whoah! THat's a spooky co-insidence! I just kwoated ShakesBear over on Delirium's blog!! Whoah!

Hey, I like yor new hedder!! HAHAHA! Bear bottoms!!! BARE BEAR bottoms!!! HAHAHAHA!

:@D

Neva said...

Have I mentioned I love you header? And a very good choice for today....!

Dragonstar said...

Oh, handsome! A Superbly erudite post!

On behalf of the ABC team, thank you for your continued participation. Thank you as well for visiting mine this week!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Actual there quite a bit of speech we use that has to do with Shakespeare.

Coffee is on.

Unknown said...

Of course you know Shakespeare : ). You are brilliant : )! I didn't even notice the S on Kaishon's shirt! You rock! Happy Thanksgiving. Do you celebrate in Canada?

Femin Susan said...

Hello……
Oh, handsome! A Superbly erudite post!
This is amazing!! I am so glad to found your blog!
Welcome to my blog…….

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Your Shakespeare Bear is really cute! The poem is great! Thanks for stopping by my place. Take Care!!

Sherrie

alicesg said...

Cool. Love these teddy bears. You might like to visit your friends in here. I spotted some of your friends during my trip in South Korea. :) http://alicetravelogue.blogspot.com/search/label/South%20Korea%20%28Jeju%20Island%29

D Herrod said...

I love it. You have the cutest bears.

JeanMac said...

I love his works - even did in high school.

Liz Hinds said...

Gosh, I didn't realise he'd written quite so much!

Anonymous said...

educational read :)

kml said...

Shakespeare has always been one of my favorites - excellent choice and another most adorable bear!

*~sis~* said...

great post!! and i still remember the shakespeare quote we had to learn in high school! ;-)

kRiZcPEc said...

lovely! Been quite busy at work~ happy Weekend!

i beati said...

My students loved Shakespeare and I was the only one who taught him..sk

Anonymous said...

I came across your entry tonight and love Shakespeare! I was wondering where you got the teddy bear? He is so adorable that I may have to get one for my own. Thank you :)